Monday, June 13, 2011

Fire In the Oven...

We have had a very busy past two weeks! First we had a whirlwind trip down to Olympia, WA so to my brothers last minute wedding. That trip involved two overnighter's in the car. We got back on a Wednesday afternoon from that trip, and were very, very tired.

That Friday night we were having a youth event at our house. I was definitely not recovered from our trip and I was also trying to get ready for my parents coming the next day.

I made pizza and then we were going to watch a movie. So the pizza was great. Everyone enjoyed that. Then I thought I would use the rest of the dough to make a dessert pizza.

While we were in washington I had dessert pizza that they made at the Stenbergs, and it was awesome! I thought I would try my hand at it. I didn't watch to see how it was made or anything. But how hard could it be? So I proceeded to press the dough out on the pizza stone, and what I now know I should have done was stop there and put the dough in the oven to bake and put the toppings on after. While what I  actually did was, I put the butter and the brown sugar and the icing on the dough and put it in the oven. Really just not thinking about the chemistry of putting all that sugar in a hot oven. About 10 min later I peak in the oven and the sugar is melting and running all over the place, and the dough is not even done. So I close the oven door and pretend that I really didn't just see that, and sit down for another minute. Then I decide I better do something about this and pull it out of the oven, and brake the news to the kids that I ruined it and it is now dessert soup.

I pull it out of the oven, disappointed that I have totally botched this and made a big mess. And I start trying to think if there is anyway I can save this thing. Then I glance over and notice I have a pretty big fire in my oven now... with smoke starting to come out of the burners.. uh oh .. Then I calmly say "There is a fire in the oven" and then I lost it and started laughing. Daniel looks at me while he is busy with Asher on the couch and tells me to "PUT IT OUT!" Oh... good idea. After I came to my senses I got the baking soda out and threw it on the fire and put it out.

I will never make this mistake again. It was so awful to clean up!! Sticky charcoal mixed with baking soda.. yuck.

Over all we had a goodnight, and I'm glad the kids thought the whole thing very funny. 

1 comment:

  1. I have to add that David and I (the parents coming to visit in the story) had another dessert pizza that Karen made. It was excellent!

    ReplyDelete