Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Snow Snow Snow

After much thought and deliberation, I have decided not to learn how to drive around this city until it warms up... so June. June I will get behind the wheel and figure out how the roads work around here. Sorry to all of those who are visiting before June hoping to be able to leave the house while Daniel is at work.

On Friday it got very cold and we got our first douse of fresh snow here. It is absolutely beautiful. Judah just kept looking out the window and pointing for us to look at all the snow, the guys out shoveling and the guys out with snow blowers. We had to tell Judah we needed to stop looking so we wouldn't look like creepy neighbors. We didn't actually decide to venture out until Sunday when we went to church. We got very bundled up(the high that day I believe was around 0 F.)It was very slick and lots of snow still on the roads. They don't believe in ruining the roads, cars, and environment with salt like Buffalo did. So there is nothing to melt the snow and ice they just plow(some) and put gravel on it. At least that is all I can tell. Out car was definitely slipping around in it. Also when the sun comes out it is so bright! Its so hard to see. It reflects of all the snow and ice, I'm going to have to get Daniel some sunglasses. Anyway our church is on top of a hill (it has a very pretty view of the city), so we were very worried about getting up it. With good reason. We got about half way up before the car started going backwards when Daniel tried to get it to go. We had people flying past us. But one of the guys from church stopped to help. He drove while Daniel pushed and one of the young adults from church came running down the hill to help Daniel push too. He told us you kinda have to get a running start at that hill. Apparently we aren't the first ones to get stuck. Makes me feel a bit better. I'm so thankful for all the help. We were able to get the rest of the way up.We barely made it for Daniel to do scripture and prayer. I guess we are going to have to get winter tires or all season tires, and our second car will have to be more snow equipped.  
It is suppose to warm up tomorrow to above freezing, we are looking forward to that.

2 comments:

  1. haha I'm just picturing Judah looking at all the activity. so cute. I'm surprised they don't salt the roads. The did is Saskatchewan, at least I thought they did. Well maybe your car won't get too rusty. I'm LOVING your blog Karen. thank you so much for sharing. I miss you guys. Give the boys a kiss for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I love your story! Dad said to tell you that when we come up we will bring out car. He can drive and you can be the tour guide. I can just picture Judah looking at the snow and pointing. Reminds me of when he pointed at the lights at Zoo Lights. He will be able to show his little brother all these cool things when Asher gets a little older. Thanks for your stories...they make me smile, as your boys do.

    ReplyDelete